It’s been 15-30 minutes after your meal and you’re already feeling the heartburn starting. You’re out to dinner with your friends (or maybe even co-workers), so you just have to grin it and bear it. Silently dealing with the burning below your rib cage, right in the middle of your chest, you’re scolding yourself inside for picking something so spicy on the menu. Next thing you know you’re saying goodnight early, and rushing into your car, so you can lift your knees up to your chest to relieve some of the pain.
Girlie, there is no need to sit there feeling uncomfortable! You can use essential oils for heartburn and feel relief from the discomfort in minutes. I know because I’ve been there.
When I first was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, foods were my enemy. Seriously everything I ate gave me heartburn or indigestion. My stomach was unruly and inconsistent. Some days I could eat a particular food, then the next day I would eat the same thing and my chest would be on fire.
When I started eating a diet rich in real foods and using essential oils proactively and reactively, my unruly stomach became more consistent.
What Causes Heartburn
Before we dive into the essential oils for heartburn, let’s talk about some of the reasons you might be getting heartburn.
Heartburn can be onset by:
- Foods – acidic foods and juices like tomatoes, pineapple, orange juice, and spicy foods
- Over-the-Counter Pain Relief – aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen
- Increased pressure in the abdomen resulting from obesity, pregnancy, or a hernia
There Maybe An Underlying Cause
While foods are the biggest cause of heartburn, sometimes there are underlying health issues that need further investigation. Once you’ve ruled out something severe, then essential oils for heartburn relief can be your most effective way to fight back against an unruly stomach.
In this post, I talk more about essential oils for digestive support.
Essential Oils for Heartburn
- Lemon: My favorite way to use lemon essential oil for heartburn is proactive. Sometimes heartburn can be a sign of imbalances or issues with your digestive system. Before I found essential oils, I would tell clients to juice a lemon and add lukewarm water. Now, I suggest lemon essential oil because it’s higher in the limonene content which provides the power cleansing properties of lemon. This is a great way to flush your system every morning. As a result, you may also experience more regular bowel movements without relying on a diuretic like coffee.
- Peppermint: This is one of the most versatile essential oils out there. Peppermint oil has tons of different uses. It’s a great oil to reach for if you’re feeling discomfort in your chest/stomach. I used this a ton throughout my pregnancy where almost every single thing I ate gave me heartburn. When I feel the burning set in, I place 1-2 drops in my palm with Fractionated Coconut Oil and rub it in topically where I feel it the most.
- DigestZen: If there was one oil for people that struggle with digestive issues, then the DigestZen is it! This oil is a blend that was researched for many different digestive benefits including heartburn. For me, I usually use this topically and internally. I’ll apply 1-2 drops of the essential oil in my palm with the FCO then rub it wherever I feel it most. Then I’ll take 1 drop and put it under my tongue. It’s not my favorite taste (you definitely can taste the anise), but it works!
My Favorite Blend of Essential Oils for Heartburn
I have a roll-on of the DigestZen essential oil that I use often for heartburn, but recently I’ve been experimenting with my own essential oil blend. In a 10mL roll-on bottle, add:
- 5 drops Lemon
- 5 drops Peppermint
- 15 drops Sandalwood
- Top off with Fractionated Coconut Oil
Share this Blend of Essential Oils for Heartburn on Pinterest:
Have You Started Using Essential Oils?
If you’re ready to start using essential oils, I’d love to work with you. There are a lot of options out there now for essential oils, but they are not all created equal. To get the therapeutic benefits of essential oils, like we’ve talked about using essential oils for heartburn, then you need to get the purest grade of essential oils out there.
As a health coach and a digestive wellness specialist, I can help you from training and personal experience for using essential oils to improve digestion.
Want more essential oil details? I have a free online workshop that digs even deeper into some of the most popular ways to use essential oils. Click here to register!