Making smoothies is really easy, but it can be intimidating at first – especially when you’re brand new to juicing, raw food or making your own smoothies. I’ve been juicing and making smoothies for the past five years and have seen the transformation they’ve made in my morning routine. Now instead of my daily coffee routine, I start my day with a smoothie which really gives me a boost of energy to start the day. Based on my own experience making smoothies, here are ten of my biggest lessons learned over the years and tips to help you make your own smoothies.
My Ten Tips for Making a Delicious a Smoothie
- Using ice or frozen fruit will create a thicker consistency than using liquids – but if you use ice your smoothie won’t be as smooth as when you use water or milk.
- Make sure your ingredients are cut into small pieces. Blackberries, blueberries and raspberries are typically small enough as is; however, strawberries, cucumber and other fruits and veggies need to be chopped smaller. Even if you have a high intensity blender, like a Vitamix, you don’t want to over work your blender.
- Add the liquid first so it can help move your ingredients around.
- If you’re after a sweet treat, use a fruit juice as they contain more natural sugar.
- For a smoother treat, use milk, Greek yogurt or ice cream.
- Start by blending on a slow setting to get your ingredients moving. Then gradually increase the speed until fully blended.
- Any liquid can be added including water, coffee & tea to make your smoothie just right.
- Freeze juices, coffee, tea, etc into ice cube trays so your smoothie isn’t watered down.
- Add interest by adding a dash of spice such as cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, mint, etc – but a little spice can go a long way. Add a little spice at a time to find your perfect taste.
- Boost the nutrition by adding ground flax seed, chia seeds, raw cacao, matcha, nut butters, and avocado, certified gluten free oatmeal and protein powders.
Are you stuck blending the same ole ingredients day after day and need some smoothie-spiration or new recipes to try? I’ve just released my brand new ebook Blending to a Beautiful Body: 100 Savory Smoothie Recipes. Click here to get it for only $4.95 or sign up for five free smoothie recipes on the right!